PERMITS

cosors

👀
C4: Is probably the new consultation law.

~The district administration is of the opinion that the company's condition to consult only with Gällivare Samiby is not sufficient. The way the company's condition proposals are designed, there is no possibility of influencing the timetable in the event of differing opinions on the impact on reindeer husbandry.
The Land and Environment Court, with the support of Ch. 22 § 25(3) of the Environment Code, delegates to the Inspectorate, such additional conditions as may be required in the following respects.
(b) Decide, on the basis of consultations carried out in accordance with condition 5, on the measures and precautions necessary to minimise disturbance to the reindeer herd.

Affected areas
sami.png

Gällivare Sameby
https://geodata.sametinget.se/webb/sameby/ars/117_gallivare_arstid.pdf
far down on the right you will find the area of the planned plant
Hertsön.png

But it doesn't really seem important to me either, because the Sami cannot decide. They have to be consulted or informed. They can not insist if I have understood the new law correctly. I think it's more of a formality and that Talga didn't follow up on it can be forgiven by the administration since they couldn't have known about the new law at the time of the application. Maybe the point has already been taken off the table?

1680172374507.png

Three years ago, I would never have expected that there would be a nation in the world that would subjugate 2/3 of its land area to a single economic interest party. @beserk What do the Swedish vegans have to say about this?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Manual

Some news about the plant in the Lulean industrial park Hertsöfältet.
I need your help as I do not have enough time. Maybe you can help me with the evaluation.

Thanks again @Manual for your translation tip!
Thanks for finding this @cosors! Attached is a formated English language transalation of the CAB's arguments and justifications for the enviro conditions precedent of the Swedish version (you originally) linked (above) here:
https://www.lansstyrelsen.se/download/18.3ff98c301869c957bbc69b95/1679392188952/Yttrande%20avseende%20Talga%20AB%20Lule%C3%A5%20bem%C3%B6tande%20av%20aktbil%2076%20i%20m%C3%A5l%20M%201826-22(24168232).pdf

Ill have a shot at the longer document you shared earlier today now...

Attachments

• ENS.trans.pdf
    840.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Love
  • Fire

cosors

👀
Thanks for finding this @cosors! Attached is a formated English language transalation of the CAB's arguments and justifications for the enviro conditions precedent of the Swedish version (you originally) linked (above) here:
https://www.lansstyrelsen.se/download/18.3ff98c301869c957bbc69b95/1679392188952/Yttrande%20avseende%20Talga%20AB%20Lule%C3%A5%20bem%C3%B6tande%20av%20aktbil%2076%20i%20m%C3%A5l%20M%201826-22(24168232).pdf

Ill have a shot at the longer document you shared earlier today now...
Wow! You nailed it with the layout. Everything was broken for me.
But the text should be the same. I also used Google this time and your approach to convert it to Word first.

Reactions: 1 users

Vigdorian

Regular
I’ll be the first to admit that I have zilch experience interpreting what I just read but it won’t stop me asking questions or making comments … The above didn’t sound very friendly to me. I felt more confident with the language used in the mine approval documents. Is there a possibility for the mine to be approved and the processing plant to be rejected or are the two mutually exclusive ? Hypothetically if the lulea plant was rejected , does Talga have the option to revisit the drawing board and relocating its operation elsewhere ? So much for the free breakfast we hosted !

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
I’ll be the first to admit that I have zilch experience interpreting what I just read but it won’t stop me asking questions or making comments … The above didn’t sound very friendly to me. I felt more confident with the language used in the mine approval documents. Is there a possibility for the mine to be approved and the processing plant to be rejected or are the two mutually exclusive ? Hypothetically if the lulea plant was rejected , does Talga have the option to revisit the drawing board and relocating its operation elsewhere ? So much for the free breakfast we hosted !
First just a quick note. This is a normal tone of voice and not unusual. Talga has known this way of dealing for years and answered everything on time. later more

Reactions: 2 users

Vigdorian

Regular
First just a quick note. This is a normal tone of voice and not unusual. Talga has known this way of dealing for years and answered everything on time. later more
There seems to be a bit more of an aggressive tone regarding the required parameters e.g. zinc , mercury, environmental degradation , bloody dust particles and noise levels…and I’m aware of recent rulings - even those in which the land and environment court ruled against the county’s recommendation …me nervous ?? Please 😏 I might just log off and not look at anything until Wednesday night .

• Love

beserk

Regular
Hi Beserk, with your connections in Lulea (your brother I think lives nearby from a previous post?), will you have any people attend the Court decision on 5th April? I’m unsure exactly how/where the decision is delivered and in what capacity the public is privy to hearing such decision, especially with time zones and mammoth ASX regulations to follow.

The exact timing to have Thursday 6th April being the last day of ASX trading prior to Easter weekend which recommences on 11th April (Tuesday) may mean that our calendars require more calendar box ticking 🤦🏼‍♂️ especially if there is also a trading halt and/or a delay in releasing the outcome.

Cosors, you are a machine when it comes to researching Court documents/cases, if you happen to have any insight, that would help to know when I exactly write myself at the bar 😂 (no stress if you have zero idea).

If it all goes south, MonkeymanDan may not be the only divorcee (or immigrant to Nth Sweden digging up graphite in the night).

Hello all interested viewers that are following this story with bated breath.

I have now corresponded with the registrar of the SL&E court in Umeå. As I understand it there will not be a physical meeting of the court where the verdict will be publicly announced. The process is that the court registrar will send the court decision in Case 1573 - 20 to interested parties.

And you have to pre register your interest by email to mmd.umea@dom.se.

I have now pre-registered my interest to the registrar and am willing to sit patiently for the delivery of the..DECISION..gee that felt good...now I feel bigly like the 45th POTUS..and again..using capital caps when yelling at the world feels GREAT!!!

-beserk

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

cosors

👀
There seems to be a bit more of an aggressive tone regarding the required parameters e.g. zinc , mercury, environmental degradation , bloody dust particles and noise levels…and I’m aware of recent rulings - even those in which the land and environment court ruled against the county’s recommendation …me nervous ?? Please 😏 I might just log off and not look at anything until Wednesday night .
This is a normal process and exchange. In the last statement, for example, the topic of transporting hydrofluoric acid was one of the open issues. This has now been dealt with.
In a quick glance there are increased values of zinc what can not be due to Talga. They are nervous, you don't need to be. They just want to make sure this is handled properly on Talga's part. The elevated levels are probably from the industry that already exists there (SSB?). They just want to make sure that Talga doesn't pose another risk. That's my understanding.

I'm not posting this to be unsettling. Just for understanding how the process works for those who are also interested.
If and how far the two procedures are related I don't know.
In any case, we are considered set for the industrial area. Now we have to fulfill all the requirements piece by piece. Then nothing more stands in the way.
Actually it is only Talga's job to understand all this and to keep us shareholders up to date on the essential steps. And that's what Talga has done in the last statement.
There is nothing to be said against sitting back and waiting.

Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
Hello all interested viewers that are following this story with bated breath.

I have now corresponded with the registrar of the SL&E court in Umeå. As I understand it there will not be a physical meeting of the court where the verdict will be publically announced. The process is that the court registrar will send the court decision in Case 1573 - 20 to interested parties.

And you have to pre register your interest by email to mmd.umea@dom.se.

I have now pre-registered my interest to the registrar and am willing to sit patiently for the delivery of the..DECISION..gee that felt good...now I feel bigly like the 45th POTUS..and again..I could get used to using capital caps when yelling at the world!!!

-beserk
Do I understand correctly that you will then keep us up to date? So the decision will come to you at the same time as Talga and you let us know here?
That would be a dream! Thanks for the info and of course for your commitment!

beserk

Regular
Do I understand correctly that you will then keep us up to date? So the decision will come to you at the same time as Talga and you let us know here?
That would be a dream! Thanks for the info and of course for your commitment!

Yes I promise to divulge any information received from the registrar on or around April 5. The registrar could not or would not give me a time for the public release. So I will have to hang around from 4 pm potentially to midnight ADST to cover the time when the court is operating. And I will. But if anyone else want in on the action just mail the registrar and pre register.

Could I just ask for anyone that wants to follow suit to pls wait until I posted the courts decision? I am not looking for glory but to avoid dual postings appearing. Furthermore I intend to post the whole ruling without any commentary asap to give everyone their go at slicing and dicing the court decision after we all had the opportunity to read it.

Aussies believe in a fair go

-beserk

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

beserk

Regular
Yes I promise to divulge any information received from the registrar on or around April 5. The registrar could not or would not give me a time for the public release. So I will have to hang around from 4 pm potentially to midnight ADST to cover the time when the court is operating. And I will. But if anyone else want in on the action just mail the registrar and pre register.

Could I just ask for anyone that wants to follow suit to pls wait until I posted the courts decision? I am not looking for glory but to avoid dual postings appearing. Furthermore I intend to post the whole ruling without any commentary asap to give everyone their go at slicing and dicing the court decision after we all had the opportunity to read it.

-beserk

Oh and I intend to post the court document in Swedish here in this thread that is most appropriate for the subject matter. Perhaps cosors or someone else can translate it to english using the methodology described?

All for now

-beserk

• Love

brewm0re

Regular

-beserk

-beserk
Beserk, I’d just drafted an email 😂; but held back as I wanted to confirm case number etc from your post…I’ve decided though to hold back.

Perhaps, as you said, it is best that you shall engage and be the recipient of such news, to avoid duplication and confusion.

Your efforts have not gone unnoticed and that drink you have on stand-by may need another, for when you wait all that time on 5th April. It’s almost like waiting for the birth of a child 😆

If you could please share once you have the news, we would all appreciate and be extremely thankful.

Cheers Beserk

brewm0re

Regular
Oh and I intend to post the court document in Swedish here in this thread that is most appropriate for the subject matter. Perhaps cosors or someone else can translate it to english using the methodology described?

All for now

-beserk
I’ll use DeepL ten thousand times for each snippet in Swedish... Doesn’t bother me, unless Manual can muster up something like he’s done before.

Semmel

Regular

-beserk
In my opinion, you absolutely deserve the glory ;) i for one am very glad that you joined the group and participate in the way you do. :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Affenhorst

Regular

-beserk
Thank you for your service. You have now committed yourself to check your email 800 times on that day. And you will get to bask in our eternal exuberant joy or cataclysmic despair, depending on the almighty court's mood.

• Haha

cosors

👀

1680672966715.png

The clearing work for a new industrial area in Luleå, archive image. Photo: Maria Lindgren/Sveriges Radio

"Talgas' application for a factory on Hertsön will soon be in court​

0:27 min

• My page
Published yesterday at 15:49
  • Talga AB is applying for a permit according to the Environmental Code for a factory on Hertsön in Luleå that will manufacture battery anode material from graphite concentrate.
  • The Land and Environmental Court holds the main hearing in the case May 3-5.
  • The graphite concentrate to be used is supposed to come from the company's planned mine outside Vittangi, a mine that Talga has not yet received the go-ahead to start."
https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/talgas-ansokan-om-fabrik-pa-hertson-snart-upp-i-domstol

I didn't think it would take so long in the end. Maybe it's because we are forced to consulate? I would find that strange, however, as our neighbouring fertiliser manufacturer seems to be making faster progress. But he doesn't have to deal with collaborating interest groups either it seems.
In any case, the plot is already free of trees and the power line is also in place.

beserk

Regular

View attachment 33684

The clearing work for a new industrial area in Luleå, archive image. Photo: Maria Lindgren/Sveriges Radio

• My page
  • Talga AB is applying for a permit according to the Environmental Code for a factory on Hertsön in Luleå that will manufacture battery anode material from graphite concentrate.
  • The graphite concentrate to be used is supposed to come from the company's planned mine outside Vittangi, a mine that Talga has not yet received the go-ahead to start."
https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/talgas-ansokan-om-fabrik-pa-hertson-snart-upp-i-domstol

I didn't think it would take so long in the end. Maybe it's because we are forced to consulate? I would find that strange, however, as our neighbouring fertiliser manufacturer seems to be making faster progress. But he doesn't have to deal with collaborating interest groups either it seems.
In any case, the plot is already free of trees and the power line is also in place.

Yes I also misunderstood and taught that since the trees had been cleared and the high voltage transformers and power lines had begun to go up that we were ok to go.

My brother has been riding around the area that is still covered in decent layer of snow. Not like in the picture from earlier late last year.

But it is never never that easy.

We wait for official go ahead for the construction of the real full scale EVA plant that only exists on drawings and in the mind of architects.

It seems we have got more critical dates coming up with 1) appeal of Enviro courts decision on mining towards end of month, 2) go ahead of EVA factory in another separate hearing by the SL&E court in Umeå. Hopefully that will not take 3 weeks before decision because 3) that is when US Secretary of state Blinken and EU politicians are meeting in ....Luleå. And potentially a caravan of Sami and non Sami protesters led by Greta are descending on the streets of Luleå.

Screenshot_20230331_060754_Chrome.jpg

Will we see a whole mass of reindeer being herded around the streets of Luleå to take part in the protests? Not one only lonely depressed reindeer tied to some street furniture.

A nightmare scenario..

Where is the 45th POTUS when you need him for comical relief?

-beserk

Last edited:

cosors

👀
On 5 April 2023, Umeå District Court, Land and Environmental Court, issued a partial judgment granting Talga AB a permit under the Environmental Code to establish and operate mining operations, etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality (case M 1573-20).
The activities are subject to the requirements for specific environmental assessment under Chapter 6 of the Environmental Code.
The judgement and other documents in the case are available at the court's registry and at the following address Registrar Kristoffer Baas, Kommunkansliet, Kiruna municipality, Stadshustorget 1, Kiruna, telephone 0980-701 04.
👉 https://www.domstol.se/umea-tingsratt/om-tingsratten/aktuellt/kungorelse/

• Fire
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀

View attachment 33684

• My page

"Summons in environmental case
In case M 1826-22 at Umeå District Court, Land and Environmental Court, Talga AB has applied for a permit under the Environmental Code for the establishment and operation of a plant for the manufacture of battery anode material from graphite concentrate within part of the properties Hertsön 11:1 and 11:1010 in the municipality of Luleå. The company has also applied for a permit for water activities for the construction of the company's facilities in water areas.
The Land and Environment Court will hold the main hearing in the case at Luleå District Court, Skeppsbrogatan 43, Luleå, on 3-5 May 2023, starting at 08.30 every day. At the main hearing, the company's entire application will be dealt with, i.e. not only the question of a so-called building judgement.
The main hearing may be held even if a party fails to attend. A hearing will be held on 4 May 2023 at the site of the facility applied for within Hertsöfältet, Luleå Industrial Park. The applicant will organise transport to and from the hearing. The documents in the case are available at the Registry of the Court and from the Registrar, Roumyana Holmqvist, Luleå District Court, Skeppsbrogatan 43, 972 31 Luleå, tel. 0920-59 55 00."

M 1826-22 Kallelse till huvudförhandling:
https://www.domstol.se/umea-tingsratt/om-tingsratten/aktuellt/kungorelse/

• Love

cosors

👀
"SWEDEN

Strong criticism of graphite mine in Kiruna: "A black day for nature"​

UPDATED 16:09 PUBLISHED 10:00 AM

1680706154515.png

According to the mining company, the graphite deposit in Vittangi is one of the world's highest grade graphite deposits. They want to use the graphite in so-called anodes, which are an important component in electric car batteries.

The Land and Environment Court says yes to a graphite mine in the village of Vittangi outside Kiruna. A decision that is in line with the EU's desire to make itself independent of graphite from China. But the decision is met with strong criticism.

- We have enough mines in Norrbotten, says Björn Lundquist at the Nature Conservation Society.

It is a few miles outside the village of Vittangi in Kiruna municipality that Talga wants to start a graphite mine . According to the mining company, it is one of the world's highest grade graphite deposits. Graphite is considered by the EU to be an important component when the world is to switch to renewable energy and a way for the EU to break its dependence on China, which today is the world leader in graphite mining.

The mining plans have been met with criticism from Sami villages and several organisations. Among other things, they have criticized that the negotiations are only about graphite mining in part of the area, Nunasvaara south, and not the remaining parts of the area where Talga has mining plans. Affected Sami villages have also demonstrated that the mine would mean major encroachments on pastures and migration routes.

Now the company gets approval from the Land and Environment Court. In a press release, the court writes that they have concluded that mining and reindeer herding can coexist on the site. The reason is that the mining company believes that mining should only take place the six months a year when the Sami villages are not in the area.

Nils Johanas Allas is chairman of Talma Sami village, one of the Sami villages that would be negatively affected by the mine.

- The decision was a disappointment, a black day for nature. But I wasn't surprised.

The three affected Sámi villages have stated that the mine would mean major encroachments on pastures and migration routes in the area.

The three affected Sámi villages have stated that the mine would mean major encroachments on pastures and migration routes in the area.

Talga wants to mine 100,000 tons of ore every year and have mining operations running six months a year. Nils Johanas Allas says that he finds it difficult to see that the reindeer would want to be in the area.

- They will still have the business running. Noise, trucks and dust will cause the reindeer to avoid the area.

Talma Sami village is under pressure from different sides, even the space base Esrange is in the reindeer herding area.

- They are rebuilding Esrange and the reindeer don't want to be there. I don't know where the reindeer will be, soon we won't have any land left and it feels hopeless.

Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board of the mining company Talga, is all the happier. He describes the decision as "fantastic fun" but says there are many pieces left to fall into place before a mine can be up and running.

- Now we have checked off one of the larger processes. Now we are going into more processes, including court proceedings regarding our anode factory in Luleå. But our ambition is to build Europe's best factory for the manufacture of anodes to electrify the automotive industry.

The main hearing on Talga AB's application for an environmental permit for a mine in Vittangi took place in February this year.  Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board of Talga AB, was present.

The main hearing on Talga AB's application for an environmental permit for a mine in Vittangi took place in February this year. Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board of Talga AB, was present.

The fact that they have been mining for six months is nothing that affects the mine's profitability, says Per-Erik Lindvall.

- With the existing mining equipment, we can easily meet our annual needs during the summer period. That has been the idea from the beginning in our application and it is certainly in that matter that the court has followed our line. Then the enrichment plant will be running all year round.

The Nature Conservation Society is critical of the fact that the mining case was even taken up in court because the case did not concern the entire deposit but only a part of it. Björn Lundquist is vice chairman of the Nature Conservation Association in Norrbotten.

Björn Lundquist from the Nature Conservation Association is disappointed by the verdict in the Land and Environment Court.

Björn Lundquist from the Nature Conservation Association is disappointed by the verdict in the Land and Environment Court. Photo: Erik Simander
- We are of course extremely disappointed that the court has rejected our request that this application be rejected. We believe that there was an actual reason for the court to review the entire project and not just Nunasvaara South.

Both the Sámi village and the Nature Conservation Society will proceed with the issue, but they have not decided in what way yet.

- We have a firm opinion that this should not be carried out. We have enough mines here in Norrbotten and we will have even more all the time. This doesn't work, says Björn Lundquist."
https://www.dn.se/sverige/gruvbolaget-talga-far-starta-grafitgruva-utanfor-kiruna/

A black day for nature​

They don't know what to do now in their particular group either. I think it's about to start to look at environmental protection properly and on the whole related to the world instead of ignoring all the facts that led the court to make this decision. Do your homework and ask yourselves what global warming is instead of just thinking about your meat production. I think maybe a little provocative. But I beg you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Thinking
Top Bottom