Jean Michel Sama Lukonde

How Jean Michel Sama Lukonde hasn’t had his own thread until now is unbelievable

It is important to remind shareholders that Jules Alingete (IGF) told the Prime Minister (Sama Lukonde) about Cominiere’s corruption back in April last year

La Cominière gives great pleasure to the Chinese Zijin in the lithium project

KINSHASA, PARIS, BRUSSELS.

Soft International n°1550

In a letter that sounds like a fire, the General Inspectorate of Finance reportedly wrote to Prime Minister Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde Kyenge and pays particular attention to him a note on the results of a control of the regularity of the sale of the shares of Cominière SA, a company of the State Portfolio, in the company Dathcom Mining SA.

The note? A real arrest of the Head of Government...

The case? Better, the umpteenth case, because they are now legion: the 15% of the shares of the public company La Cominière in the company Dathcom Mining to the Chinese company Zijin Mining, carried out in violation of the legal provisions on the disengagement of the State of companies from the Portfolio.
These shares were valued at US$150,000,000, they were sold at US$33,440,000. Shortfall: 116,560,000 US$.

Then, the squandering of the proceeds of this sale. Of these 33,440,000 US$ received and, in collusion with the Board of Directors of Cominière SA, the managers of this public company have already distributed US$6,800,000.

The reasons, in their eyes, are not lacking: payment of snacks, fees, commissions and remuneration to the one who contributed to the realization of this operation.

And, since there are no two without three, free sale of the 5% of the shares of Cominière SA in Dathcom Minging SA to Dathomir Mining Sarl. Of which 5% would have been resold for US$85 million. A scheme that recalls many others...

WHAT WILL THE PRIME MINISTER DO?
In this leaked letter, three points stand out clearly and are bolded and underlined: "sold-off of the State's mining heritage"; "dilapidation of the proceeds from the sale of 15% of Cominière SA's shares in Dathcom Minging"; "free sale...". In short, a scandal that awaits an exemplary sanction.

The IFB, which knows how to call a cat a cat, suspects three officials: the Director General Administrator a.i. of Cominière SA, Athanase Mwamba Misao, the members of the Board of Directors of Cominière who would have authorized these operations, the Minister of the Portfolio Adèle Kahinda Mayina.

According to the circles close to the file, it is following the recommendations issued by H.E. the President of the Republic, Head of State, for the supervision of all financial operations of the State, (that) the General Inspectorate of Finance has just carried out a mission to control the transfer of the shares of Cominière SA, a State Portfolio Company, in the company Dathcom Mining

After this control mission, three important facts stand out and for which "we seize your authority for decision," writes the letter.

It is about: selling off the State's mining heritage. The sale of 15% of the shares of the Public Company La Cominière in the company Dathcom Mining to the company Zijin Mining was carried out in violation of the legal provisions on the disengagement of the State of Portfolio companies.

Indeed, the 15% of the shares of Cominière SA valued at US$150,000,000 (US dollars one hundred and fifty million) were transferred to Zijin Mining for a total value of US$33,440,000 (US dollars thirty-three million four hundred and forty thousand). This is followed by a shortfall of US$116,560,000 (U.S. dollars one hundred and sixteen million five hundred and sixty thousand); "dilapidation of the proceeds of the sale of 15% of Cominière SA's shares in Dathcom Mining.

Of the total amount of the proceeds from the transfer of 15% of the shares, which amounts to US$33,440,000 (U.S. dollars thirty-three million four hundred and forty thousand), Cominière SA has already used about US$6,800,000 (US dollars sin million eight hundred thousand) for snacks, fees, commission and remuneration for the benefit of the people who contributed to

Then: "Free assignment of the 5% of the shares of Cominière SA in Dathcom Mining SA to Dathomir Mining Sarl. The presumed free and provisional transfer of 5% of Cominière's shares in Dathcom Mining SA to Dathomir Mining Sarl, which took place in 2017, turned out in relation to the transfer contract that it was final and irrevocable, with a price agreed between the two parties, but whose revenues were not traced back to Cominière SA. There is a presumption of use of forgery on the part of the Director General a.i. to carry out a fraudulent transfer of 5% of shares".

Then to close by designating those responsible. "All these facts are the responsibility of the Director General a.i of the company Cominière SA, the members of the Board of Directors of the said company as well as the Minister of State, Minister of the Portfolio".

La Cominière SA is a young mining company whose head office is located at n°5167, avenue Nyembo, Socimat district, in Kinshasa-Gombe. It was created on April 12, 2010 after the decision of the General Meeting of Shareholders, namely, the Ministry of Portfolio and the National Institute of Social Security whose new name, since July 15, 2018 (law of July 15, 2016), is the National Social Security Fund, CNSS.

THE INFLUENT CONG MAO HUAI.
La Cominière holds 35 mining perimeters scattered in Northern Katanga, in the provinces of Tanganyika and Haut-Lomami where pegmatite-type rocks rich in spodumene, a lithium mineral associated with stanno-coltaniferous ores, are found.

More specifically in the territories of Manono, Mitwaba, Kalemie, Malemba-Nkulu, Bukama, Moba, Nyunzu, Kongolo.

The company conducts all study, prospecting, research and mining operations of caserite, tantalum, niobium, wolfram, lithium, gold and all conceivable and recoverable mineral substances.
Cominière's history dates back to 1920 when the Geological and Mining Company of Belgian engineers and industrialists extracted tin in Manono. In 1960, in the aftermath of independence, the Geological and Mining Company sold its assets to the Congo Geological and Mining Society.

Renamed in 1968 Congo-Stain, then in 1971 Zaire-Stain, the company saw its production fall gradually. In 1997, it took over the name of Congo-Etain, before being reborn, in the early 2010s, under the name of Cominière, the Congolese Mining Industry, whose capital is held by the Congolese State (90%) and the National Social Security Fund (10%).

The company Dathomir Mining Resources, owned by the influential Chinese businessman Cong Mao Huai, called in Congo Simon Cong, and considered the bridgehead of the Chinese business in the country, concluded, in September 2020, concluded an agreement to sell 10% of its shares in Manono to the Australian operator of the project, AVZ Minerals.

The finalization of the transaction makes AVZ Minerals the owner of 75% of the lithium site against 25% for the Cominière State company.

Zijin Mining is a Chinese mining company. It is the third largest copper company in China. It is the main gold company in China and operates the Zijinshan mine, the largest gold mine in China. In May 2015, Zijin Mining bought 47% of the Kamoa project for US$412 million from Canadian Ivanhoe Mines.

In total, Zijin Mining has 57% in the Kamoa copper mine and 51% shares through its subsidiary Jin Cheng Mining in the Musonoie Global Mining Company.

Classified as a strategic metal in Congo, lithium is a rare metal. It is used in the manufacture of batteries and batteries, particularly for solar panels, computers, smartphones and electric cars, but also in the glass and ceramics industry, such as in the manufacture of special lubricants and alloys, the treatment of CO2-ssized air, the pharmaceutical industry and the rubber and thermoplastics industry.

The world's largest lithium producers are to date Bolivia, Chile and Argentina, called "lithium triangle", as well as China and Australia. Congo's lithium could eventually prove to be the easiest to extract and of the highest quality. The country, which is home to a number of metals essential to the energy transition and which are stirring up covetousness, is already the world's leading supplier of cobalt and one of the major players in copper production, attracts the whole world with its immense lithium reserves to its arc.
D. DADEI.

Reactions: 4 users
IMG_3633.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
IMG_4635.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
For those interested, this is a photo of Jean Michel Sama Lukonde with Sun Ruiwen, CEO of CMOC in March last year

IMG_5130.jpeg

And here again in July last year

IMG_5131.jpeg

It’s no surprise DRC Prime Minister Jean Michel Sama Lukonde is always caught up in corrupt practices with Chinese companies…. Worth a read if you are interested in the recent news headlines around CMOC and Manono

Maybe even just read the highlighted parts to get what the report implies

Chinese firm's hopes of resolving royalties row at massive DR Congo copper and cobalt mine hits political hurdle​

Political interference is delaying resolution of a royalties row between Gecamines, a state-owned miner in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Chinese mining company China Molybdenum, who are partners in a massive copper and cobalt mine in the African country, an observer said.

Gecamines, which holds 20 per cent of the Tenke Fungurume mine, said earlier this month that a third-party administrator had temporarily taken over management of the mine, which is at the centre of a dispute over royalties.

However, China Molybdenum (CMOC) said there had been "no change" in control of its DRC subsidiary, Tenke Fungurume Mining.

Reuters reported on June 9 that court-appointed administrator Sage Ngoie Mbayo had taken over management of the mine, just over two months after DRC Prime Minister Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde promised to halt court proceedings against the Chinese company in the royalties dispute.

The francophone editor at the China-Africa Project, Christian-Geraud Neema, who is also a Congolese mining and policy analyst, said the situation has a lot to do with political interference

"If the administrator takes his role, it will be a major setback for CMOC, which received guarantees from the prime minister that the judicial procedures won't go further," Neemasaid, adding that when those guarantees were given, Lukonde, a former director general of Gecamines, instructed members of his cabinet to handle the case.

Lukonde's team seems to be reading from a different script to that of a review commission appointed by DRC President Felix Tshisekedi's chief of staff in August.

The commission was supposed to be the only framework for dealing with issues related to the mine, but the prime minister said in March that the government would take over.

That showed "there might be an internal fight between the presidency and the prime minister on how these issues should be handled", Neema said.

He said that after several meetings with China Molybdenum representatives and members of the review commission, which was set up to investigate the reserves at the mine to help determine the true value of the government's shareholding through Gecamines, DRC Justice Minister Ruth Mutombo decided to move forward with the suspended judicial process.

That could be an indication the parties have failed to agree on contentious issues, including the sharing of royalties and the amount of minerals at the mine.

"CMOC still has political allies within the Congolese political apparatus, allowing it to slow down the process," Neema said, adding that sources had told him the judicial process will move ahead, and Ngoie, the temporary administrator, will take control.

"Now we have to see how the prime minister will react. He wasn't keen on seeing CMOC challenged that way."

China Molybdenum chief executive Sun Ruiwen has visited Kinshasa twice in recent months, meeting with Tshisekedi in December and Lukonde in March.

Prime Minister Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde had previously promised to halt court operations against the Chinese company.

In February, a commercial court in Lubumbashi suspended Tenke Fungurume Mining from managing the mine and appointed Ngoie as the mine's administrator for six months, with the "responsibility of reconciling the two parties on divergent issues, namely access to technical information as well as the determination of the rights of the parties".

Reuters reported that Ngoie had been appointed as Gecamines's representative at Tenke Fungurume Mining before his appointment as administrator.

But Lukonde suspended court proceedings against China Molybdenum in late March and stopped the implementation of the court order.

The DRC government and the Chinese company agreed to settle their dispute outside court, and said they would appoint an "internationally recognised third party to conduct an assessment for a definitive solution" to their dispute over royalty payments.

Gecamines has accused China Molybdenum of not declaring thousands of tonnes of reserves at the site, allegedly denying Kinshasa much-needed royalties.

Gecamines wants Tenke Fungurume Mining's books to be audited to ascertain its fair share of revenues from the mine at a time of growing demand for cobalt, a metal used to make lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles.

The DRC alleges the mine understated its reserves to reduce the amount of royalties it pays to Gecamines. China Molybdenum, which owns 80 per cent of the mine, denies having done so.

Reuters reported on June 9 that Mutombo had ordered the enforcement of February's court directive on the appointment of a third-party administrator.

Patrice Pungwe, the secretary general of Gecamines, told Reuters that Ngoie had officially taken charge of Tenke Fungurume, Congo's second-biggest copper mine. However, China Molybdenum denied reports that an administrator had taken over.

"There is no change in the management rights of TFM, and production and operations are running as usual," China Molybdenum spokesman Vincent Zhou told Reuters on June 10.

China Molybdenum issued a statement saying that its vice-president, Zhou Jun, who is also general manager of Tenke Fungurume Mining, had met Chinese and Congolese executives of its DRC subsidiary that day.

Zhou Jun was quoted as saying that, since the start of this year, "TFM has overcome multiple challenges such as changes in the external environment and focused on both production and construction, achieving yet again record copper and cobalt production with significant improvement in product quality." Neema said discussions between the parties are continuing.

According to Benchmark Mineral Intelligence, which tracks the lithium-ion battery to electric vehicle supply chain, Tenke Fungurume Mining is the second-largest cobalt producer in the DRC after Anglo-Swiss Glencore and accounted for around 10 per cent of global supply last year.

BMI's chief data officer, Caspar Rawles, said in March that negotiations appeared to have failed or that "Gecamines haven't found the resolution they were expecting and are putting more pressure on China Moly via the legal route".

With so much focus on the energy transition and the opportunity this offers the DRC via its vast reserves of both cobalt and copper, it would seem the [DRC] government wants to ensure they can maximise potential royalties/revenues," he said.

Although the DRC produces two-thirds of the global supply of cobalt, the government says the country has not benefited sufficiently from its extraction. Most of its cobalt ore is exported to China to make batteries, weapons, machinery and electronics.

Tshisekedi, who was elected president in January 2019, accused his predecessors of signing lopsided contracts with mining companies - most of them Chinese - and said he wanted to renegotiate them.

The DRC government says the deals were skewed in favour of foreign companies and elite Congolese politicians.

Neema said Tenke Fungurume is an important project for China Molybdenum, and it will need to reach an agreement with Gecamines and the DRC government.

He said an eye should be kept on "how the Chinese government may react, directly or indirectly, through various channels".

"From the Congolese side, next year is election year, they can't afford to go in with that situation pending over their head," Neema said. "So, the clock is ticking."

China Molybdenum acquired its controlling stake in the Tenke Fungurume mine in 2016 for US$2.65 billion from US miner Freeport-McMoRan and increased its stake to 80 per cent for US$1.14 billion in 2019. It says it plans to invest US$2.51 billion to double production at the site.

Gecamines has accused China Molybdenum of not declaring thousands of tonnes of reserves at the site, allegedly denying Kinshasa much-needed royalties.

Gecamines wants Tenke Fungurume Mining's books to be audited to ascertain its fair share of revenues from the mine at a time of growing demand for cobalt, a metal used to make lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles.

The DRC alleges the mine understated its reserves to reduce the amount of royalties it pays to Gecamines. China Molybdenum, which owns 80 per cent of the mine, denies having done so.

Why has Jean Michel Sama Lukonde Kyenge who was the Director General of Gecamines from June 2019 until his appointment to Prime Minister in February 2021 sided with CMOC, over Gecamines and doesn’t want CMOC audited?💰

lellep

Regular

Why has Jean Michel Sama Lukonde Kyenge who was the Director General of Gecamines from June 2019 until his appointment to Prime Minister in February 2021 sided with CMOC, over Gecamines and doesn’t want CMOC audited?💰
Interesting read, good find!

19/07/2023
Frank Posted

Mine in the DRC: the Chinese CMOC has agreed to pay 2 billion dollars to its Congolese partner

Chinese mining group CMOC has agreed to pay its domestic partner in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Gécamines, $2 billion to settle a dispute over royalties related to a mining joint venture, according to a stock market filing released Tuesday.

After months of legal disputes, an agreement was reached last April between the Chinese group CMOC, which owns 80% of the Tenke Fungurume mine (TFM, south-east) and its Congolese partner, the public mining company Gécamines, but details had not been disclosed.

Gécamines accusing the Chinese group of concealing information on the size of its reserves, the huge mine had been hit with an export ban between July 2022 and April, leading to the immobilization of tens of thousands of tonnes of copper and of cobalt.

Since the conclusion of the agreement, the CMOC group has gradually begun to dispose of these huge stocks, representing for cobalt powder no less than 7% of the world's annual production in 2022.

This dispute coincided with the stated desire of the DRC to renegotiate more widely contracts that it deems to its disadvantage.

The president, Felix Tshisekedi, went to China at the end of May to discuss, among other things, Chinese mining contracts.

Details of the TFM deal were only released on Tuesday, when CMOC said in a stock market filing that the mine would pay Gécamines $800 million in compensation payment and at least $1.2 billion in dividends on several years.

Going forward, “Gécamines will be entitled to 20% of the total value of the subcontracting of the project and the right to acquire a production volume proportional to its 20% stake in TFM at market conditions and in the respect for Congolese laws,” added the CMOC.

The largest producer of minerals in Africa, the Democratic Republic of Congo provides more than 70% of the world's cobalt, an essential metal in particular for the manufacture of batteries used in electronics and electric cars.

The Tenke Fungurume mine is the second largest cobalt mine in the world.

It was producing around 20,000 tonnes of copper and 1,500 tonnes of cobalt per month until 2022, according to company figures.

mediacongo

19/09/2023
From Frank

Motion of censure in progress: is Sama Lukonde living his last days at the head of government?

Appointed Prime Minister in February 2021, Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde, who replaced Sylvestre Ilunga in this position, would be in an ejector chair.

He risks falling like his predecessor through a motion of censure.

In preparation, this motion is the initiative of the parliamentary majority deputy Steve Mbikayi, who denounces the government's inability to respond to the concerns of the population.

“We will only release the (motion of censure) when a large number of fellow MPs are won over to this cause,” announced the former ESU minister who, however, fulminates against all those who currently unfortunately present his parliamentary action as a strategy aimed at destabilizing the President of the Republic, Félix Tshisekedi, three months before the general elections.

In a column written on Monday, September 28, Steve Mbikayi clarified that he was dealing instead with Sama Lukonde, the “most self-effacing and inactive Prime Minister in the history of the DRC”.

According to him, the head of state’s desire to do well is manifest. But his government is not up to the task.

Article 147 of the Constitution provides that, when the National Assembly adopts a motion of censure, the government is deemed to have resigned.

In this case, the Prime Minister submits the resignation of the government to the President of the Republic within twenty-four hours.

Below, Steve Mbikayi's column

The truth hurts, they say. Ours hurt.

We have declared that the Sama government must resign.

We sign and we persist. This morning thousands of dollars were spent buying newspaper headlines to vilify us.

Rather than wasting our time by sending them a right of reply which will not be read by a large number of people, because their cabbage leaves are not sold in more than 50 copies, we simply react on our Twitter account.

It's more efficient.

In 24 hours, our tweet demanding the resignation of the government had more than 230,000 views.

We sign and we persist.

The Sama government must resign.

A motion of censure is under consideration.

We will only release it when a large number of fellow MPs are won over to this cause.

Inadvertently shifting the debate to the Head of State because we know we are more vulnerable cannot intimidate us in any way.

Everyone knows our commitment to defending the actions of the President of the Republic for 3 years.

We will continue in the same vein.

But, within the majority, we will denounce and fight everything that can cause us to fail.

In particular, the failure of the Sama government.

Its inability to respond to the concerns of the population.

If in the city all the criticism is directed towards the President of the Republic, it is because we are dealing with the most self-effacing and inactive Prime Minister in the history of the DRC.

As a result, a semi-presidential regime appears today as presidential.

When things don't work, no one talks about him even though he's the one who governs.

Even if he does not resign, we will shake him daily so that he wakes up.

Pretending that by pointing out the government's inefficiency we are destabilizing Fatshi is intimidation in bad taste.

That can't discourage us.

It's a diversion.

We're not even going to dwell on it.

For three years, the government was unable to produce driving licenses.

Everyone gets behind the wheel however they want.

Should Fatshi be in charge of ordering driving licenses?

When a printer breaks down, we go several months without producing passports.

The head of state is the only citizen to have received his identity card...

Congo Airways is grounded because the government refuses to release $33 million on the grounds that the company must be privatized.

Following our pressure, ten million dollars have just been disbursed to this company.

We are proud of it. Fanciful prices imposed on aviators have dried up the Congolese skies.

Today, to go from Goma to Kinshasa, you have to go through Addis Ababa. What a shame !

Can this be called competence?

Faced with the dollar, our national economist does not know which way to turn.

On the market, it's overheating.

The arrival of the much-vaunted “warrior” changed nothing at the front.

Being a member of the majority does not mean being complacent with a failing government.

We will fully play our role as elected representatives of the people.

Rather than meeting our arguments, the government wants to hide behind the President of the Republic.

He must take responsibility.

To wake him from his deep sleep, we will continue to shake him.

If he doesn't wake up, we'll put him down. Instead of letting the opposition say these things and take advantage of them, we need to speak up about them ourselves and demand corrections.

The head of state’s desire to do well is evident.

But his government is not up to the task.

If in a month, Congo Airways does not resume its flights, Sama and his government will fall and the elections will indeed take place.

Any fellow MP who goes on campaign with Sama on his back will dig his own grave.

We call on President Mboso.

Our chamber must stop being a sounding board for the government.

www.mediacongo.net/article-actualite-127114_motion_de_censure_en_gestation_sama_lukonde_vit_il_ses_derniers_jours_a_la_tete_du_gouvernement.html

19/09/2034

Translated from French by
Open forum 14 No intimidation The truth hurts, they say. Ours hurt. Very bad . We declared that the Sama Government must resign. We sign and we persist. This morning thousands of dollars were spent buying newspaper headlines to vilify us. Rather than wasting our time by sending them a right of reply which will not be read by a large number of people, because their cabbage leaves are not sold in more than 50 copies, we simply react on our Twitter account. It's more efficient . In 24 hours, our tweet demanding the resignation of the government had more than 230,000 views. We sign and we persist. The Sama Government must resign. A motion of censure is under consideration. We will only release it when a large number of fellow MPs are won over to this cause. Inadvertently moving the debate towards the Head of State because we know we are more vulnerable cannot intimidate us in any way. Everyone knows our commitment to defending the actions of the President of the Republic for 3 years. We will continue in the same vein. But, within the majority, we will denounce and fight everything that can cause us to fail. In particular, the failure of the Sama government. Its inability to respond to the concerns of the population. If in the city all the criticism is directed towards the PR, it is because we are dealing with the most self-effacing and inactive Prime Minister in the entire history of the DRC. As a result, a semi-presidential regime appears today as presidential. When things don't work, no one talks about him even though he is the one who governs. Even if he doesn't resign, we will shake him daily so that he wakes up. Pretending that by pointing out the government's inefficiency we are destabilizing Fatshi is intimidation in bad taste. That can't discourage us. It's a diversion. We're not even going to dwell on it. For three years, the Government was unable to produce driving licenses. Everyone gets behind the wheel however they want. Should Fatshi be in charge of ordering driving licenses? When a printer breaks down, we go several months without producing passports. The Head of State is the only citizen to have received his identity card... Congo Airways is grounded because the government has refused to release 33 million dollars on the grounds that the company must be privatized. Following our pressure, ten million dollars have just been disbursed to this company. We are proud of it. Fanciful prices imposed on aviators have dried up the Congolese skies. Today, to go from Goma to Kin, you have to go through Addis Ababa. What a shame! Can that be called competence? Faced with the dollar, our national economist does not know which way to turn. On the market, it's overheating. The arrival of the much-vaunted "warrior" has changed nothing at the front. Being a majority deputy in no way means being complacent with a failing government. We will fully play our role as elected representatives of the people. Rather than meeting our arguments, the government wants to hide behind the President of the Republic. He must take responsibility. To wake him from his deep sleep, we will continue to shake him. If he doesn't wake up, we'll take him down. Instead of letting the opposition say these things and take advantage of them, we need to speak up about them ourselves and demand corrections. The Head of State's desire to do well is evident. But his government is not up to the task. If in a month, Congo Airways does not resume its flights, Sama and his Government will fall and the elections will indeed take place. Any fellow MP who goes on campaign with Sama on his back will dig his own grave. We call on President Mboso. Our House must stop being a sounding board for the Government

Dave Evans

Regular
At the African Mining Indaba 2024 the President of South Africa greets DRC Prime Minister Sama Lukonde with the words

“You and Cominiere are embarrassing the fucking shit out of us 🤬

IMG_6166.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Dave Evans

Regular
Top Bottom