BRN Discussion Ongoing

CHIPS

Regular
Very weird BRN released this news so early, this sort of tells me we ain’t go get much news/revenue before the AGM, so are they are trying to soften the blow? Hope I’m wrong

View attachment 60203

Sorry, but this article was published on 14th April 2020. :unsure:

1712125468165.png

Reactions: 2 users
I knew TDK were looking into neuromorphic as posted last year but unfortunately not ours by looks.

Thoughts @Diogenese .

Maybe Anthony, Nandan, Anil or someone should get in touch haha

Excerpt start of blog. Rest in links.

https://product.tdk.com/en/techlibrary/developing/index.html

Solving AI Energy Problems with Neuromorphic Technology​

With the expansion of AI usage, the energy consumed by computers has been increasing explosively. TDK is developing a spin memristor, an analog memory element that electrically mimics the synapses in the human brain. Devices that utilize this technology, known as neuromorphic devices, are expected to be over 100 times more energy-efficient than conventional devices. This device technology can be manufactured using techniques similar to those currently used for MRAM*1 production. Leveraging its expertise in magnetic technology, developed through HDD heads and magnetic sensors, TDK aims to reduce the energy needed for AI and to discover new AI devices that can learn in real-time and adapt to their environment and users.
*1 MRAM:
Magnetoresistive Random Access Memory. Unlike conventional memory, data does not disappear (non-volatile). This allows for reduction in calculation and standby power as it can be quickly started even if the circuit power is turned off.

Contents​

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users
From a few days ago out of the TCS Annual Report 22/23.

Screenshot_2024-04-03-14-53-49-01_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 36 users

Rach2512

Regular
Morning IloveLamp

This from Apr 2020, so could that mean that Socionext has something to offer with Akida already built in?

BrainChip and Socionext expect Akida silicon in Q3

BrainChip and Socionext expect engineering samples of their neural net processor Akida in Q3. They are being made on a TSMC MPW run.

Morning everyone, have a great day ❤
Pom down under, I was merely trying to highlight the fact that BrainChip and Socionext have been working together for over 4 years and I was thinking that between them they may already have something to offer right now, not 2-3 years down the track. Would anyone else care to agree?

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 28 users

skutza

Regular
  • Fire
Reactions: 1 users

Diogenese

Top 20
I knew TDK were looking into neuromorphic as posted last year but unfortunately not ours by looks.

Thoughts @Diogenese .

Maybe Anthony, Nandan, Anil or someone should get in touch haha

Excerpt start of blog. Rest in links.

https://product.tdk.com/en/techlibrary/developing/index.html

Solving AI Energy Problems with Neuromorphic Technology​

With the expansion of AI usage, the energy consumed by computers has been increasing explosively. TDK is developing a spin memristor, an analog memory element that electrically mimics the synapses in the human brain. Devices that utilize this technology, known as neuromorphic devices, are expected to be over 100 times more energy-efficient than conventional devices. This device technology can be manufactured using techniques similar to those currently used for MRAM*1 production. Leveraging its expertise in magnetic technology, developed through HDD heads and magnetic sensors, TDK aims to reduce the energy needed for AI and to discover new AI devices that can learn in real-time and adapt to their environment and users.
*1 MRAM:
Magnetoresistive Random Access Memory. Unlike conventional memory, data does not disappear (non-volatile). This allows for reduction in calculation and standby power as it can be quickly started even if the circuit power is turned off.

Contents​

Hi Fmf,

MRAM = analog.

• Sad
  • Fire
Reactions: 16 users

Frangipani

Regular
A bit older 2022-02, but for me as a sceptical German it's nice to see any sign that Akida is known here. It's about a project funded by a federal state. And what do my tired eyes discover:

"PROJECT RESULTS​

In the course of the project, "event-based" cameras were used in parallel with classic "frame-based" cameras to create a data set with twelve different gestures/actions. This dataset was used to train both classical neural networks (CNN+LSTM) and spiking neural networks to classify the gestures shown. The networks trained in this way were run on corresponding hardware accelerators and the two resulting systems (classic and event-based) were compared in terms of prediction accuracy, electrical power consumption and generated data rate. The event-based system achieved a higher prediction accuracy with a significantly lower data rate and electrical power consumption. The figure shows a section of the demonstration system.final report can be extracted."
View attachment 36197

"The SNNs were also ported as far as possible to the neuromorphic hardware platform BrainChip Akida and evaluated there in terms of throughput and electrical power consumption. A comparison with the simulation of the SNN on a GPU-based computer and with the values of the KNN-based system can be seen in Table 3."

Means power consumption and frames per second
View attachment 36195
The entire final report translated see attached.

It is/was about:
View attachment 36196
The Germans can read the report here:
https://www.embeddedneurovision.de/...2-02-abschlussbericht-embeddedneurovision.pdf

https://www.embeddedneurovision.de/

https://www.fzi.de/

https://www.inferics.com/

https://www.hs-analysis.com/

Who knows, maybe one of the project participants is among us?

"In addition, the system is connected to an Nvidia Jetson NX8 AI processor and a BrainChip Akida as a neuromorphic AI processor.
neural networks that the partners have developed as part of the project. developed by the partners as part of the project.
The development kits CeleX5_MP from CelePixel Technology Co. LTD and Gen 4.0 from Prophesee are used as hardware.
In the end, Norse was used in combination with Tonic as a framework, as these promised sufficient functionality, fast results and easy integration of event camera data. Recurrent, convolutional and fully networked variants were chosen as SNN models.
The best results were obtained with a combination of recurrent, fully wired and convolutional layers, which achieve a very high accuracy of about 98% for 3 classes with less than 400,000 parameters. A detailed list and comparison of the different networks and accuracies can be found in Table 2.
HS Analysis has experienced great interest from our existing customers as well as some potential new customers to apply SNNs in commercial products, especially in the area of process monitoring. The main interest here is in the reduced energy consumption and increased data protection of event-based cameras. This enables data protection-compliant process monitoring even in areas accessible to the public, and the reduced power requirement offers the possibility of operating on-edge devices via Power-over-Ethernet (PoE), which simplifies deployment. Our previous core product, the HSA KIT, which is a toolbox of different which includes a toolbox of various customised AI analyses, can also be extended with the SNN knowledge gained in the project. This means that advanced, minimalistic time series analyses are now possible, for which we have already started with the quotation and ordering process."

Does FCAS mean anything to you? There is no entry here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Combat_Air_System
In addition to the companies mentioned above the Fraunhofer-Institut is deeply involved in the development of military equipment, as I heard on the radio yesterday. Was new to me. This is one of the top research institutions in our country.

Here is further evidence - postdating that of cosors (02/2022) - that AKD1000 has been used for research at FZI (Forschungszentrum Informatik / Research Centre for Information Technology) in Karlsruhe, Germany.

Julius von Egloffstein is presently both an M.Sc. student at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and a research assistant at FZI. The technical university and the non-profit research institute FZI collaborate closely, and hence quite a few KIT students will do research for their Bachelor’s or Master’s theses at FZI, like this young gentleman did two years ago, when he worked on his Bachelor’s thesis titled Application Specific Neural Branch Prediction with Sparse Encoding (for which he got a perfect score, by the way).

And look what kind of neuromorphic hardware he used for evaluation:

66FE1BC8-85BD-4BBE-BC2D-EC3C207493E2.jpeg

It is worth noting that FZI researchers are not working in an ivory tower - instead, their research is all about applied computer science and technology transfer to companies and public institutions:

02978F19-B115-4571-A96E-1DF565293C4F.jpeg

fff985da-70f4-41dc-8fac-eb836ad63ae6-jpeg.60228

DEC74207-57F3-49B8-86C5-3B641B15BDA3.jpeg

5FB091BB-6635-418F-83B4-DDFE4A32FC0C.jpeg

7666414B-53FF-4902-ABE1-10F579F95481.jpeg

Attachments

• FFF985DA-70F4-41DC-8FAC-EB836AD63AE6.jpeg
    FFF985DA-70F4-41DC-8FAC-EB836AD63AE6.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 8811D1D1-CAC7-4CCF-BDAC-D71B61C8144F.jpeg
    8811D1D1-CAC7-4CCF-BDAC-D71B61C8144F.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 02978F19-B115-4571-A96E-1DF565293C4F.jpeg
    02978F19-B115-4571-A96E-1DF565293C4F.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 30 users
  • Fire
Reactions: 4 users

Frangipani

Regular
Perplexingly, Perplexity AI completely omitted King’s College London in its list of academic institutions, although is very well-known for the neuromorphic research conducted by Prof. Osvaldo Simeone and Prof. Bipin Rajendran that aims to revolutionise wireless communications.

They recently co-authored a paper with researchers from Luxembourg, the UK and France (“Performance Evaluation of Neuromorphic Hardware for Onboard Satellite Communication Applications”), in which they had implemented SNNs on Loihi 2 - it was briefly touched on here on TSE the other day:
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-ongoing.1/post-409255

An interesting collaboration between these three partner universities - King's, Imperial and UCL - is the London Centre for Nanotechnology (LCN), “a UK-based multidisciplinary enterprise operating at the forefront of science and technology. Our purpose is to solve global problems in information processing, healthcare, energy and the environment through the application of nanoscience and nanotechnology. Founded in 2003, the LCN began as a joint venture between University College London and Imperial College London, based at the Bloomsbury and South Kensington sites; from 2018 King's College London joined the collaboration from its base on The Strand.”

By the way, Perplexity AI also failed to mention Brunel University London as yet another institution being involved in neuromorphic research in the British capital.

Hot off the press - Akida finally getting acknowledged alongside Loihi by three researchers from King’s College London… Prof. Simeone is also with Aalborg University, Denmark, where another co-author is from. The fifth co-author is from Princeton.

AB290E8B-114F-406D-80F9-9F03064DF83C.jpeg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 43 users
I see Anup has moved from Perth to California in the last couple of months.

Congrats to him.

Thought I'd find someone else than Rob for liking something.

We know much about Icetana?

Anup Vanarse​

AI Research Scientist | Advancing AI at Brainchip | Expert in Deep Learning | PhD in Advanced Machine Learning​

BrainChip Edith Cowan University​

Irvine, California, United States Contact Info

553 followers 500+ connections​

About
As an AI Research Scientist with a deep-rooted passion for advancing the frontiers of technology, I specialize in the intersection of deep learning and neuromorphic engineering. With a PhD in advanced machine learning, I bring extensive expertise in designing cutting-edge algorithms and models. Currently, I am at the forefront of innovation as a valuable member of Brainchip Research Institute, contributing to the development of event-based and novel AI solutions optimized for hardware deployment.

Screenshot_2024-04-03-17-43-17-96_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 23 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Does not look like it connects to the internet, but it DOES. Where is the battery? Where is the engine? Makes no noise.

SNN with low power would be perfect for Ebikes.

View attachment 60190
1000014746.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Frangipani

Regular
Looks like Nikunj Kotecha left Brainchip end of last year? 🤔

ABC232FF-DC12-4C24-A8A9-A073D370A8F9.jpeg

86D76E81-C3DC-45DD-80A0-B2CC22DA68CB.jpeg

• Sad
  • Thinking
Reactions: 9 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 3 users
Pom down under, I was merely trying to highlight the fact that BrainChip and Socionext have been working together for over 4 years and I was thinking that between them they may already have something to offer right now, not 2-3 years down the track. Would anyone else care to agree?
I hardly read anything properly hence the confusion lol

1712141261332.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 18 users
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

• Love
  • Fire