Breadcrumbs and Big Statements

JNRB

Regular
Hi All. Someone reshared the TLG pres from Feb on one of the other threads, and there are some great lines from MT in there. So thought it would be worth having a thread to collate some of the more telling breadcrumbs and other juicy statements. Please include references so we can track things back if needed.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

JNRB

Regular
February 2023 Investor Webinar

20:16
"...4680 and NCM811 are a pretty good spot for it, if you know what I mean"
MT re silicone-graphite anode.

49:00
Q re silicone "What can you tell us about the timeline and planned scale-up?"
MT - "2-3 year time-frame", looking at germany rather than Sweden.
"once you've proven that you can increase the scale massively around the world with the sort of production techniques we're using"

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

MT talking about Talnode SI (silicon anode):

19:20:
We would provide a product that's a 50 silicon contained particle... our customers would then sprinkle that and mix it into their graphite to dilute it down to what balance they want... what sort of energy density they want... So our primary particle does about 1 800 milliamp hours per gram of energy uh density uh which is about five times higher than graphite alone, but the customers don't need it that high and it has other repercussions around longevity. So you want to sort of balance that up and put in as much as you need to boost performance while retaining the length of cycle life and other things you need. In conjunction with our forecasters and Industry participants we expect about five percent of the anode market will contain silicon or by volume uh over the next couple of years. It can go into different battery chemistries but the 4680 and NCM 811s are a pretty good spot for it uh if you know what I mean and in fact it's quite interesting that in the Biden's the USA inflation reduction Act that that they've actually put aside money specifically for Silicon Anode production uh support and subsidies in North America and Europe we're expecting to um well Europe has scope for also supporting silicon anode uh projects uh through what are projects of common economic interest and other grants so yeah I think it's going to be a growing space we invested early in it to be an adjunct it makes our graphite production more efficient to use any byproducts in the Silicon product we have scientists that specialize in Silicon and we we know you know the feasibility of it obviously we've been working on for a while both in the UK and now transferring that into the German space and it's looking good in lots of ways we'll just have more to talk about it once we close um some deals out.

33:43
Silicon's exciting obviously as well very excited about being able to do something that doesn't actually rely on the mine... we can use graphite from the mine obviously but we can use also use graphite from other sources to make that material we want uh. We've got some exciting developments in Silicon both in the near term commercialization potential looking at feasibility study but also in going to our gen 3 material and also other ways of making silicon and open till that I think would revolutionize the entire world so I've made comments like that over the last few years that work is still all ongoing and still exciting and continuing positively haven't had any roadblocks on that.

34:32
...expanding you know beyond what the niska plan is and potentially realizing that we own anode production technology and Battery material technology that is transferable to other countries so in other words it doesn't necessarily have to be fed from our own sources we have got quite advanced um know-how now similar to the giant chemical conglomerates of Asia and there's nothing to say we couldn't compete by having purely Downstream processing capability built in other areas as well although that's a you know that's down the road that's a you know we've got to walk before we can run sort of thing but it's something to be be aware of is that when we talk about being a technology company that happens to understand mine it doesn't mean that we have to use the mine for 100 % of what we do there's all sorts of other opportunities at the end of the day we choose the pathways that are most robust and most exciting where we've got massive advantages where we've got a deep and wide moat around our Tech and what we do and can capture most of the margins but yeah it's probably more yeah it's full of variety Beyond uh what you can see published at the moment.

• Fire

mpk1980

Wonder who's HQ was located in PA? :unsure:

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

mpk1980

"literally goes in direct on the rail you can go uh train directly into the factories of your customers in germany for example"

Again...wonder who has a rail that goes into their factory in Germany!

• Love

mpk1980

22:45
"....we do have ip in this area so we're not going to show what's really going on but there's some really exciting developments in this space coming up that will are frankly frightening and how good they are...."

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love

JNRB

Regular
22:45
"....we do have ip in this area so we're not going to show what's really going on but there's some really exciting developments in this space coming up that will are frankly frightening and how good they are...."

This exact quote was the main reason I decided to make this thread. Glad you already dug it out
"frightening how good they are"
Love it

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users

brewm0re

Regular
This exact quote was the main reason I decided to make this thread. Glad you already dug it out
"frightening how good they are"
Love it
Thanks JNRB for creating this thread. It certainly provides great positivity with this company, even with all the external factors (eg court appeals, market sentiment). Today though is what we all anticipated with sp a week ago... A touch overdue, but that's just how TLG rolls, even though they cannot control the market movements... And mpk, great to see you on here, as you are a valuable contributor on HC.

Monkeymandan

Regular
Great idea. Here are my favourites from the recent Rho Motion presentation.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users
No, I understand that. I'm just wondering, do you have in your mind eventually an exit here or to see it through?
I have in mind dividends, Alan!

I think there was another interview where Mark talked a bit about how extensive Talga's resource could be and that he personally thinks that the graphite anode industry could follow a similar trajectory as the iron ore industry in terms of size and longevity, but maybe I'm confusing things or at least I couldn't find the interview in question anymore.

• Love

cosors

👀
Just a snippet. I think that we have only heard once about BMW as a customer. I am waiting for them to come out.

"I have tried to translate the video very roughly, it is worth a close look!

~~~"Our assessment is that we are so far advanced in this process that we should be able to get approval fairly soon, hopefully in the summer or early autumn. That is our ambition. So it is to become a battery supplier for Volvo, BMW! or VW. They have to qualify their product first and show that it is suitable. It should not only work for the first charge, but for 10,000 charges over many years. So there are test processes to qualify as a supplier. To be able to be part of that, we are building this facility. Without it, we would have had to wait for the factory to be ready and then the train would have left the track a long time ago.""
https://thestockexchange.com.au/thr...ssioned-31st-mar-2022-8-20am.23653/post-40543

BMW is not the biggest and they might fall behind but it is still a strong brand.
Also the mention of Volvo @beserk ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Affenhorst

Regular
I think there was another interview where Mark talked a bit about how extensive Talga's resource could be and that he personally thinks that the graphite anode industry could follow a similar trajectory as the iron ore industry in terms of size and longevity, but maybe I'm confusing things or at least I couldn't find the interview in question anymore.
True, a bit older that one. In the recent interview/Q&A (Rho motion?) he dropped an 800 kt/a number (in an indirect guarded way). That would make me more than happy.

• Fire

54:25

Could you describe your vision of Talga in 2030?

The vision is to have Vittangi up and running at the Niska scale of rates or greater that we've published. My vision would be that it's at a greater rate subject to
all of the local conditions being met and all stakeholders approving - and that that material would be making the amounts of anode that we have published under the scoping study for Niska which is uh collectively with Vittangi at least a hundred thousand tons of anode or more. My personal vision would be that we would in the meantime look at increasing that if possible where we're allowed. From that material we would also be in commercial production of Talnode Si at a considerable scale to be determined - that the conductive additives are being sold at considerable scale to be determined - and that has spin-offs from those we will have other products going out into graphene and graphite world from that material as well. I would like to have some of those operations potentially in different locations that fit the customers' needs - and that we would still be having a good hard look at expansion possibilities and that the company has revenues well in excess of what we have shown in the scoping study and the DFS today.

• Fire

beserk

Regular
"literally goes in direct on the rail you can go uh train directly into the factories of your customers in germany for example"

Again...wonder who has a rail that goes into their factory in Germany!

Yes transport and logistics is the key for converting a mineral to an economically valuable ore.

For LKAB in Kiruna the critical date was late1899 when Malmbanan, Iron Ore line, reached Kiruna from export harbour in Luleå.

Then of course the rail way track was laid down bisecting the Scandic mountain range in Riksgränsen. And why is this the highest point you might wonder? Well in the middle 1800 when the last frontiers of Lapland was mapped out the border between Norway and Sweden followed the highest water divide slavishly. The bkorder between Norway and Sweden was decided as late as 1851. The Cultivation border, Odlings gränsen, that divides Sámi grazing land to the west from settlers agri and silvi cultural land to the East

By 1903 the ice free harbour in Narvik was plugged into the transport infrastructure and we were all transport systems go!

So IMO to have a ready made transport and logistics system is one of Talgas great advantages.

-beserk

Last edited:

cosors

👀
  • Love

Semmel

Regular
From gvan over at HC..
https://hotcrapper.com.au/threads/a...ls-forum-2023.7451206/page-4?post_id=68523435

Quoted:

There is a nice breadcrumb in the project financing slide:

"Financing strategy targets 60% project debt and 40% equity (which can include state aid and strategic partnerships)"

On the previous presentation from 30/05/2023 it's stated on the EU Momentum slide: "Talga is exploring green funding opportunities, including proposed Sovereignty Fund"

For those that aren't familiar, the proposed Sovereignty Fund is a proposal from von der Leyen to ensure "the future of industry is made in Europe".

"The proposal for a sovereignty fund is just the latest stage in the Commission’s efforts to beef up local industry and compete globally on everything from microchip production to critical raw materials to the use of hydrogen."

"It follows measures like the Chips Act, aimed at shoring up the chip manufacturing shortage, and the Net-Zero Industry Act, which is designed to scale up the EU-based production of clean technologies. Brussels has also moved to temporarily ease state aid rules to let countries strategically buoy homegrown companies.

But the new fund would also back strategic projects at an EU level — everything from hydrogen to semiconductors and biotechnologies."

The last point in bold is important because this has been the EU's stance on state aid in the past:

"A company that receives government support gains an advantage over its competitors. Therefore the Treaty generally prohibits State aid unless it is justified by reasons of general economic development. To ensure that this prohibition is respected and exemptions are applied equally across the European Union, the European Commission is in charge of ensuring that State aid complies with EU rules."

I must say, the financing situation is looking absolutely outstanding for shareholders. I'll say it again, thank goodness Mark turned down LKAB & eventually Mitsui because this is far and away the superior option. We knew this sort of financial backing would eventuate but in 2021 we only had the two options available. Remember, at the time we didn't know the Ukraine war would happen which caused massive EU urgency to fund green projects, which makes the decision to hold out even more impressive. Lesser management would have probably folded considering the short term ramifications.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

brewm0re

Regular
Interesting to see MT’s last 3 likes on Twitter have all got Tesla peppered 🤔Could be over-reading into this as a breadcrumb. Hoping we have the quarterly webinar to pick apart more possible breadcrumbs and shut the crickets up, and stop shareholders going completely batty from the long appeals wait.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Top Bottom