DRC-Rwanda: Washington threatens new sanctions against Kigali
Massad Boulos and Donald Trump
- Tuesday, February 17, 2026 - 09:25
The agreement signed in Washington between Rwanda and the DRC "is only a starting point" and not "an end in itself," said Massad Boulos, Donald Trump's Africa advisor, during an interview broadcast on February 16 on France 24, as fighting resumed on the ground.
When asked about the possibility of the agreement failing after the rapid deterioration of the security situation, the American diplomat rejected this interpretation. "The Washington agreement served as a launching pad for this process," he stated, adding that it is part of a broader mechanism aimed at establishing "total peace and stability in the region."
He highlighted the "essential complementarity" between the Washington agreement, concerning relations between Kigali and Kinshasa, and the Doha process, led by Qatar with the support of the United States and the European Union, which deals more specifically with the M23-DRC issue.
Mr. Boulos, however, acknowledged a "serious violation" of the agreement following the capture of Uvira by the M23, which Washington claims is supported by Rwanda. "It was the M23 and Rwanda that seized the city of Uvira," he stated, adding that Rwandan President Paul Kagame had "betrayed the trust" of the American administration.
According to him, after discussions with Kigali, the fighters withdrew from Uvira, "but not completely", remaining "on some strong points around the city".
When asked about possible sanctions against President Kagame, the US official indicated that Washington had "a number of tools" at its disposal and that "measures" could be implemented. He noted that the United States had already imposed targeted sanctions against certain individuals and entities involved in conflict-related illegal trafficking, citing in particular measures taken against James Kabarebe.
The statements come as Rwandan President Paul Kagame, speaking at the opening of the "Umushyikirano" national dialogue in Kigali, attributed tensions with the DRC to the presence of Rwandan Hutu rebels from the FDLR on Congolese territory. He rejected any involvement by Kigali related to minerals and any desire for territorial appropriation.
Several United Nations and US reports, however, accuse Rwanda of providing military support to the M23. The UN Security Council has called on Kigali to cease all support for the armed group and to withdraw its troops from the Congo. Kigali denies these accusations.
Washington says it is continuing its discussions with Rwanda and is waiting for "concrete measures on the battlefield" to judge the effective implementation of the commitments made.